Learning to use the spine correctly allows us to rid ourselves of many physical and mental problems. It is because every organ in the body is directly or indirectly connected to the spine.
Bone health is also extremely important. When bone cells get stimulated by being twisted or elongated, they produce more bone mass. It makes the bone stronger and more resistant. Yoga for the spine helps in the growth of bone mass, but since it is moving the bones in all possible directions, it also improves its structure and makes it able to resist bigger and stronger pressure.
The spine should be lengthened to work correctly, since if it is shortened, unnecessary strain is put on limbs and organs. Also, the neck should always be free of muscle tension. If the neck holds a lot of stress, it may spread throughout the spine and later the whole body.
Today, the spine has become curved in many people, and it gets impossible for us to have a perfect spine later. It is due to many reasons, such as:
- Bad posture
- Wrong techniques of pushing or lifting heavy weights
- Or making sudden jumps.
Maharishi Swami Dev Murti saw this and created 12 courses of 12 spinal exercises. These can be performed with cold muscles. Best would be two times a day. They are designed not only to improve the spine but also to work the nervous system and blood circulation. They also help with digestion and other functions of the internal organs. The spine twisting exercises strengthen the deepest muscles of the back – the muscles between the vertebras, enhance the structure of bone and improve its flexibility.
The best breathing technique with these exercises is that you inhale in the beginning position and exhale while twisting. You start to inhale again while returning to the starting position. Breathe with your mouth closed; through the nose. Don’t hold your breath. Don’t strain the spine, do as much as possible.
From all the 12 courses of exercises, there is one exercise which you should try to do daily, best when you wake up and when you go back to bed in the evening.
- Lie on your back and stretch the arms out at shoulder level.
- Bend your legs, so your feet are about a foot away from your buttocks and each other.
- Turn the knees to the left so that the left knee is touching the ground and the right knee is touching the left heel.
- At the same time turn your head to the right.
- Moving with breath, turn to the other side.
- Repeat this four to five times on each side.
- When you’ve finished, put your legs back in the center.
- Join them together and place your feet as close as you can to your buttocks.
- Turn your legs to the left and your head to the right.
- Your legs should stay joined the entire time, with feet touching.
- Repeat on the other side.
- Do this exercise four to five times.
- In the same position, join the knees and draw them towards your chest.
- Then turn them to the left and your head to the right.
- It is possible that your knees will not be touching the ground while twisting; this is normal.
- Repeat on the other side, four to five times on each side.